[mythtvnz] DVB and a 150 coexisting

AlanP mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Sat, 12 Aug 2006 23:40:14 +1200

At 08:49 p.m. 12/08/2006, you wrote:
>As Toby says, you need to set the channel and callsigns the same for the
>same channels so Myth knows it can use either card when recording.

Hmmm... I tried monkeying with that, and my DVB-S and 150 coexisting
channels turned to static. Will have to monkey with it more.

>In order to get the data for TV3 from DVB, you need to check out the
>instructions here:
><http://www.pvr.geek.nz/w/index.php/Listings>http://www.pvr.geek.nz/w/index.php/Listings

Thanks!

>I think you need to tune the DVB card to the 12671 transport in order to
>pull down the Sky data for all channels inc TV3. It isn't available from
>the 12456 transport where you're getting TV1 etc from normally.

I've got the two cards tuned to 671. Boy, do they take ages to scan
compared to the 150. They make you feel more NASA Controller than the 150,
though.

>There was also some useful info in responses to a similar question I
>posted on the list a week or two ago..

Will have to comb through Eudora.

>Nick
>PS How did you go with Knoppmyth?

A great deal better than with Jarod's Fedora guide. The main issues have been:

SOLVED- TV Out -- wound up having to download 12 megabytes (!) of driver to
get it working
- EPG -- the thing is STILL twelve hours ahead of what it should be, and
there is no option to slow it 12 hours. The XMLTV offset doesn't work. I
don't want to slow down the system clock 12 hours, because then everything
ELSE will go funky.
- Tuning -- or getting digital and analog to live happily together. It's
not very intuitive, and there are approximately no easily found guides.
They are ALL based in America, the land of either FireWire cable or pure
analog 150s and IR blasters.
- MythMusic -- it behaves decidedly funkily, and my hodgepodge of randomly
tagged MP3s mean that, for instance, there are four different Johnny Cash
artists in it. If I don't have a way of getting it to just show
directories, I'm going to have to do more work than I want to.
SOLVED- Hard drive -- SATA II drives are the best value for money right
now, so I got one, thinking, well, it's been more than a year, surely Linux
supports it. Wrong. Debian stable didn't, Fedora was a piece of crap and
supported it, and KnoppMyth doesn't. I wound up buying a PATA WD 160GB from
Tricky Dicky for more than I probably should have. Very first HDD I've EVER
seen that came in a box and wasn't OEM.
- Samba -- it doesn't seem to run automatically at boot, and the command to
make it do that doesn't spring to mind.

If anyone has fixes for the nonsolved in that list, I'd be grateful. On the
other hand, I HAVEN'T had to muck about with:

- X windows, beyond TV out (which is more a NVidia issue)
- MySQLd, or trying to get it running at boot
- LVM, the KnoppMyth script (create_lvm.sh) works very satisfactorily
- window managers
- login managers
- downloading twenty terabytes of crap over 56k dialup (major win)

so on the whole KnoppMyth has been a win that I would recommend to newbs
like myself. My father has been VERY interested in this, and the music (and
CD ripping) portion drew his attention immediately. The prospect of losing
the sky subscription once the FTA channels come up on the new bird is very
enticing to him. I can't WAIT until the FTA ch3 is up, so I can either
ditch the 150 or chuck it on the VCR or something. I miss a lot of shows
because I can't be stuffed managing VCR tapes all the time, so I'm looking
forward to actually seeing the programs I want. (Shift work can be evil at
times.)

I really really want to get this going well -- I've got some quality
British ale in the fridge from New World that I've told myself I can only
have once it's working properly! (The Chimay, on the other hand, I couldn't
resist at all. Beautiful stuff. I also just tried Mac's Sassy Red today,
that's quite nice too.)

--
Alan Podjursky                  ICQ 24423014
"Yay, evil evil! Happy torture!" -- Gwyneth