[mythtvnz] Cabling my house

Andrew Ruthven mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 02 Aug 2006 08:53:06 +1200

On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 23:46 +1200, Robin Gilks wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 20:26 +1200, Toby Mills wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > Heh.  My current plan is 3 runs of Cat 5e to every panel, only 2 will be
> > terminated on RJ45's.  The other will be left unterminated (in case I
> > want phone or something else).  Some speaker cables will be run to
> > suitable locations (left, right and center in the lounge, B set to the
> > family room).  I thought thought about the audio signal cable...  I am
> > thinking about running balanced audio from the server to a few locations
> > for the jukebox feed.
> >

> Don't forget that with standard sructured wiring you can run ethernet and
> phone and still have a pair left on a single cable.

True, but since I'm going to be installing the box, I might as well just
pull 3 cables.  I want to be able to run gigabit to some locations, so
I'll need all the pairs.

> My place was built by Stonewood and they managed to put CAT5E to every
> room for the phone and kroned all the cables into a box in the garage and
> used the correct pairs!! Made my conversion job easy as I only had to put
> a 100meg switch into the wall box and krone the flying cables from it into
> the termination block and I was totally wired :-) Getting ethernet in any
> room now just required an RJ45 splitter from Dick Smith to break out the
> phone from the ethernet (unfortunately many ethernet cards short out the
> unused pairs - not very friendly!)

That makes life much easier!

> Another good touch was 3 RG6 cables to the lounge so I have TV (combined
> VHF and UHF), satellite and a return to a distribution amp in the garage
> that then goes out round the house. That allows a VCR or sat box in the
> lounge to be repeated round the whole house.

Hmmmm...  Maybe I should do that.  A flat I lived in a few years ago had
a similar setup.  While I didn't make use of the extra RG6, I imagine it
would make life much easier if you wanted to do that.

Cheers!

--
Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand
At home: andrew@etc.gen.nz       |  This space intentionally