[mythtvnz] Technisat Skystar2 DVB-S card pricing for NZ market

David Zanetti mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 14:50:57 +1200

--=-8DnejF4amEedYkLLI1QJ

On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 14:22 +1200, Open Media Support wrote:
> > But I am still picking it'll be FTV, not FTA. They'll want to honor the
> > regional nature of their rights (ie, they hold the rights for NZ, not
> > merely anyone in the footprint with a large enough dish).
>=20
> How do you define the difference between FTA and FTV

FTA is Free To Air - unencrypted in other words.=20

FTV is Free To View - encrypted, but a very low threshold to decrypt,
usually one-off cost for a viewing card and an off-the-shelf CAM.

FTV is probably most widely used in Europe, lots of different countries
in the footprint and rights are per-country. But it's used outside there
as well, for example Aurora services on Optus B3 and C1.

> > Someone actually needs to spell this out soon, before the wrong
> > decisions are made on purchasing. If there are TVNZ/CanWest/BCL people
> > lurking here, _please_ put pressure on the appropriate people to
> > publically clarify how it will be delivered!
>=20
> I know the TVNZ is being pushed to offer HDTV content by the equipment
> suppliers.

TVNZ is already pretty much end-to-end HD capable now. OB is another
matter, but that's not really TVNZ's problem to fix (and Sky have
already told their OB partners to be HD by end of 2007).

I hear the local content providers are the ones fighting it, because
they'd have to upgrade their kit to make more rubbish.. erm.. local TV.

--=20
David Zanetti <david.zanetti@catalyst.net.nz>
Team Leader, Systems Administration
Catalyst IT Limited