[mythtvnz] Technisat Skystar2 DVB-S card pricing for NZ market

Steve Hodge mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 14:42:31 +1200

On 4/12/06, Open Media Support <support@openmedia.co.nz> wrote:
> David Z wrote:
> > But I am still picking it'll be FTV, not FTA. They'll want to honor the
> > regional nature of their rights (ie, they hold the rights for NZ, not
> > merely anyone in the footprint with a large enough dish).
>
> How do you define the difference between FTA and FTV

FTA =3D Free to Air: the signal is unencrypted.
FTV =3D Free to View: there is no subscription but the signal is
encrypted. You'll need a decoder (as opposed to a tuner) or a DVB-S
card that can decrypt the signals via a CAM (conditional access
module). Note that the reason we can't decode Sky Digital is the lack
of an available CAM.

Steve