[mythtvnz] Satellite with 0.19?

David Zanetti mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 07:55:35 +1200

--=-2rfEksh9uais/RnEvGwg

On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 17:15 +1200, Open Media Support wrote:
> > It's a Technisat Skystar2 2.6D PCI card from dvbshop.net:
> > http://www.dvbshop.net/product_info.php/info/p12_Technisat-Skystar2-2-6=
D-incl--remotecontrol.html

> We are going to be looking at carrying a couple of DVB-S cards given the
> direction TVNZ and TVWorks are moving in. I'm open to recommendations on
> what we should carry. I doubt we could beat the European price on large
> orders, but for we might be able to find a good price for one offs.

I can heartily recommend the SkyStar2, definately the better card of the
selection.

However, there's always the possibility it'll end up being a "free to
view" system, encrypted but with an easily obtainable (probably one-off
cost) card to view, using an more common encryption system. In which
case, the SkyStar2 won't do what you want - it doesn't have a CAM slot.

(I have heard TVNZ are prohibited from encrypting their signal but I
wonder how much that will be enforced in the future, and wouldn't apply
to other current FTA broadcasters..)

--=20
David Zanetti <david.zanetti@catalyst.net.nz>
Team Leader, Systems Administration