[mythtvnz] IVTV problems

Nick Rout mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 19:37:53 +1300

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 19:04:55 +1300
Wade Maxfield <mythtvnz@hotblack.co.nz> wrote:

> >On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 3:25 pm, criggie@criggie.dyndns.org wrote:
> >
> >>  Your next mission will be firmware loading :)
> >
> >Would you care to elaborate Craig?
> >
> >We are having problems (mental blocks perhaps) tuning the card now.
> >
> >We have managed to capture the input from Sky using the component input
> >
> >ivtvctl -n
> >
> >mythtv ~ # ivtvctl --set-input=2
> >ioctl VIDIOC_S_INPUT ok
> >Video input set to 2
> >
> >but using the tuner input we do not know how to tune it.
> >
> >Is there a howto for NZ? (which we can understand / follow)
> >

> So are you stuck at how to test the tuner with Free-To-Air channels?
> Or how to get sky via the tuner?
>
> The only way I know to get sky via the tuner is to set the capture
> card channel to 38 (or whatever channel you've set your sky decoder
> to use - it's in the advanced preferences of the sky decoder from
> memory.) I believe 38 is what quite a few of the sky installers use
> by default.
>
> If it's FTA TV then you can use ptune-ui.pl to play round with.  Just
> find ptune-ui.pl (might be /usr/lib/ivtv/ )
> then
>
> ./ptune-ui.pl &
>   mplayer -vo xv /dev/video0
>
> Just don't change channels to quickly, as depending on your hardware
> there may be a noticable delay between changing the tuner, and then
> seeing it in mplayer
>
> http://zaf.geek.nz/projects/mythtv/channels.php
> has a list of channel ids if you need them.
>
> The channels ids then get used in mythtv-setup, but you should be
> able to suss that out at the right time.
>
>   - Wade

A couple of things Robert.

1. did you use the ivtv from portage or did you just download and hand
compile the driver? I did the latter as the ivtv ebuilds were very
flaky at the time - around April this year IIRC.
http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Download

2. ivtv is a fast moving target. My version is 0.3.6r. I haven't
bothered to update it as it just works.

Current stable is 0.4.0, unstable is 0.5.0.
http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Download . By contrast the ebuilds
available are:

* media-tv/ivtv
     Available versions:  ~0.2.0_rc3-r4 ~0.2.0_rc3-r5 ~0.3.8

3. there are ebuilds for the perl based tuning tools:

* dev-perl/Video-ivtv
     Available versions:  ~0.12 ~0.13
     Installed:           none
     Homepage:            http://ivtv.sourceforge.net
ivtv-ptune

* media-tv/ivtv-ptune
     Available versions:  ~0.2.0_rc3
     Installed:           none
     Homepage:            http://ivtv.sourceforge.net

Whether these are up to date i do not have a clue.