[LUUG Publicity] LUUG 27th Sept: Building an Open Source PKI for E-Mail

Andrew Findlay andrew.findlay@skills-1st.co.uk
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 11:56:02 +0100

    			The LUUG Lectures

    		  UKUUG - London Unix User Group

    Following the UKUUG AGM (18:00 in the same room)....

    Thursday 27th September 2001, 19:00
    Room 739, Institute of Education, Bedford Way, London WC1H 0AL

    Building an Open Source PKI for E-Mail

    Dr Andrew Findlay
    Skills 1st Ltd

    The legal framework for the use of digital signatures (and thus
    e-mail) in contracts is now in place. Making use of it requires a
    trusted and widely implemented signature scheme. In the case of
    e-mail this is S/MIME, but interoperability problems between
    different products were common in the early versions, leading to
    a poor takeup.

    In February 2001, CESG and the Office of the E-Envoy conducted an
    interoperability demonstration for mailers using S/MIME and the
    Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) that supports them. The scope of the
    demonstration was limited to the exchange of signed mail, and an
    encouraging result was obtained. It is planned to repeat the process
    in early 2002 with the scope expanded to include encryption as well
    as signature.

    Eddie Bleasdale of Netproject suggested that there should be an open
    source entrant in the next round of tests. Funding was obtained for
    a feasibility study, which was carried out by Andrew Findlay of
    Skills 1st Ltd.

    This talk describes the open source components that were
    investigated, and outlines the plan for a complete system.

    More details of this project can be found in Andrew's papers list:
    http://www.skills-1st.co.uk/papers/afindlay.html#ospki20010615

    The LUUG lectures are sponsored by the UK Unix systems User Group.
    http://www.ukuug.org/

    After the lecture we will look for some food - probably in the
    Spaghetti House in Goodge Street.

    For further information on LUUG Lectures, contact Andrew Findlay:
    afindlay@ukuug.org
    01628 782565

Here's that map again:

			      |   |  Euston      |   |               | B |
      |   |            Goodge |   |  Square   ^  |   |               | e |
      |   |            Street=|   |  Tube     |  |   |               | d |
      | C |             Tube  |   |              |   |  | |          | f |
   ---| h |-------------------|   |              |   |  |M|          | o |
      | a |  Goodge Street    | T |              | G |  |a|          | r |
   ---| r |-------------------| o |              | o |  |l|          | d |
      | l |          ||Spag   | t |              | w |  |e|          |   |
      | o |          ||House  | t |              | e |  |t| Institute| W |
      | t |          ||       | e |              | r |  | |   of     | a |
      | t |          ||       | n |              |   |  |S| Education| y |
      | e |          ||       | h |              | S |  |t|          |   |
      |   |Fitzroy   || Rising| a |              | t |  |r|          |   |
      | S |Tavern    ||    Sun| m |              | r |  |e|          |   |
      | t |-------------------|   |--------------| e |--|e|          |   |
      | e |-------------------| o |--------------| t |--| |   |
      | e |                   | u |              |   |  | |   |  ---------->
      | t |                   | r |              |   |  | |   |  Russel Sq
      |   |                   | t |              |   |  | |   |  Tube
  ||  |   |-------------------|   |---------------   |---------
  ||  |   |  Percy Street     | R |Bayly St.         |Montague Pl.
  ||  |   |-------------------| o |-----.            |---------
  ||--|   |                   | a |     |  Bedford   |        |  Russel Sq.
  |---|   |            Cinema | d |     |  Square    |        |
		  Tottenham   |   |              |   |
		    Court     |   |              |   |
		    Road   |  |   |              |   |
		    Tube   V  |   |              |   |