[IEE EC3 News] IMA Presidential Address - Applying mathematics - Crowthorne - 14 April 2005

Stansfield, Edward Edward.Stansfield@thalesgroup.com
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:26:19 +0100

Dear Colleague,

You are being sent this message because either you gave your email
address at one of our previous lectures or you signed up on the
web site associated with this email list
http://www.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/iee-ec3-news.

I have appended the details of a lecture being presented by the
Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (IMA) local branch in which
you may be interested, and I hope to see you there.

Details of our other lectures may be found at -
http://www.iee.org/OnComms/Branches/UK/England/SEastE/EC3/

THE INSTITUTE OF MATHEMATICS AND ITS APPLICATIONS
N. Hants, Surrey and Berkshire Branch

Invites you to The IMA Presidential Address
given by Professor Timothy Pedley, F.R.S.
G.I.Taylor Professor of Fluid Dynamics, University of Cambridge

A light buffet will be available from 6:45 pm
at  TRL, Crowthorne House, Nine Mile Ride, Wokingham
Thursday 14th April 2005 at 7.30pm

Professor Pedley will talk about what he means by applying mathematics,
with examples from simple dimensional analysis and from his own subject
of fluid dynamics in biology and medicine, in particular the blood flow
in the neck of the giraffe and the modelling of populations of swimming
micro-organisms.  He will also comment on some of the issues facing
mathematics in the UK at the moment.

Details : Please notify the membership secretary if you expect to attend,
to help us forecast numbers for catering purposes.  A map showing the
location of TRL can be found at <http://www.trl.co.uk/pdf/map.pdf>.

For further details of this event or other N. Hants, Surrey and Berkshire
Branch
activities contact the Branch Membership Secretary: Chris Jeggo, Dstl,
Farnborough, Hants, GU14 0LX; email: chris.jeggo@baesystems.com