[HTS-members] The War memorial

HTS Secretary secretary at taplowsociety.org.uk
Thu Oct 24 16:45:14 BST 2019

Dear Members

When we contributed to the restoration of the Taplow War Memorial last year,
the question arose as to why it honours only those who fell in the First
World War and not those in the Second.

We have looked into this with the following results.

The First World War names are in full on the lowest set of facets of the
memorial. We don't know why the names of those who fell in the Second World
War were not added but at least the delay means that a pilot originally
listed as 'Missing' was not omitted in haste. Adrian Powell, the stonemason
who did such an excellent restoration last year, is confident that he can
inscribe the initials and surnames of all 22 men on the second tier of
facets to a sympathetic high standard. We propose to differentiate the two
sets of names by inscribing 1939 - 1945 and 1914 - 1918 in different fonts
on the top set of facets.

We have with due diligence confirmed through available records that we have
all the WW2 names. We have also confirmed that the official policy of the
War Graves Commission is that war memorials commemorate only the two world
wars and not subsequent conflicts.

Support and Aim

Your Executive Committee believes that the fallen of the Second World War
should be properly remembered. St Nicolas' Parochial Church Council and
Taplow Parish Council are fully supportive. It would be appropriate if the
work can be completed in time for the 75th commemorations of VE Day on 8th
May next year. However, this is a matter for all Taplovians so we are
letting you all know and we will table a motion for approval at our AGM on
6th December.

As a related item please see the attached poster about a film on the war in
Burma.

Roger Worthington, Secretary HTS

07787556309