[HTS-members] Fw: Proposed demolition of Silchester Manor

Karl Lawrence karlnuman at supanet.com
Fri May 9 07:23:00 BST 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: L.A.P. Szczepanik
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2014 11:40 PM
To: editor at taplowsociety.org.uk
Subject: Proposed demolition of Silchester Manor

Dear Nigel Smales,

Thank you very much for kindly writing your excellent article "The Name's
Bond" in the Hitcham and Taplow Society Spring 2014 Issue on Page 15.  My
daughter found your article on the internet and I was dismayed to read it.

I was a pupil at Silchester House School in the 1960s when Mademoiselle
Blonay was the headmistress. It was a lovely school with a delightful
building and a very happy atmosphere.  I visited Silchester House a few
years ago and saw that it was now called Silchester Manor and was a nursery.

I am saddened to read your article that Silchester Manor now proposes to
demolish the beautiful Victorian building.  I agree with you that it would
be far better to retain the main building and possibly turn it into flats
and the nursery could still build their new premises and even a couple of
other houses elsewhere on the grounds.  The main point would be to keep this
very attractive building for posterity.  I have looked at the planning
application on the South Bucks District Council site.

I have contacted a couple of "old girls" and we do want the main building to
be preserved.  Should I send a comment to the South Bucks District Council
site?  Should someone mention this possible demolition on the
FriendsReunited Silchester House site to encourage other old pupils to email
the council as well?

Thank you so much for kindly drawing my attention to the plight of our old
school building.  I do hope that the Council will at least consider the
history of this lovely building before they let it be torn down.

Yours sincerely,

Mrs Lynette Szczepanik (nee Murray)