[GNUz] GNU/Linux support Weds 7.30pm

Rik Tindall ask at infohelp.co.nz
Mon Mar 1 21:03:54 GMT 2021

Hi all, monthly notice, March 3.

Wednesday night is the GNU/Linux Users' workshop: 7.30pm-9.30pm in the
South Learning Centre (SLC), through rear door of South Christchurch
Library at 66 Colombo Street, Cashmere -
https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/locations/SOUTH/ - held on the
first Wednesday monthly, Feb-Dec. N.B. Covid-19 tracing app QR-code is
at all council public facilities.

CCC notice: Alert Level 2
*************************
More information on
https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/news/coronavirus-information/
· If you feel unwell, please stay at home.
· Contact tracing is mandatory.  You will need to sign in when you visit
the library using the COVID Tracer app or filling in the contact form in
the room.  If you choose not to sign in, you will not be permitted to
enter the library.  You do not need to sign out when you leave.
· You'll need to maintain a one-metre physical distance with our staff
and customers as you enjoy the library. Due to the Government's Covid
regulations, social distancing is a must. If you cannot ensure that your
group will have at least a metre distance between each person
(preferably 2), then you might need to postpone your meeting until the
restrictions get lifted.
· Our frontline staff may be wearing masks. We may also have screens in
place to support physical distancing at some of our counters.
· Most bookings expecting more than 30 people will be postponed.
· Physical distancing: We will be monitoring our library spaces to
ensure that safe physical distancing can be maintained. This will look
different for all libraries. This also applies to bookings. If physical
distancing cannot be supported, we may need to cancel your booking due
to Health and Safety reasons.

GNUz notice re Weds workshop
****************************
LiveCD/DVD/thumbdrive installs of freenix* operating system
distributions are used to demonstrate alternative desktop environments,
in the SLC computer lab of i5, all-in-one, touchscreen PCs.

Ubuntu-MATE is the Debian GNU/Linux variant we most display and Long
Term Support releases like 20.04 are recommended, though rolling
upgrades (like 20.10, October release) tend to run fastest with very
latest kernel drivers and software incorporated. Both are up-to-date,
secure, and will run well on a lot of ageing equipment to extend its
life. See http://debian.org background and
http://ubuntu-mate.org/download/ for these distros and
http://distrowatch.com for a great many other variants to choose from.
Portable devices welcome, esp. laptops, Android phones etc.

BYO distributions and any new tech you like; overhead projector and
large screen - let us know if you have a presentation to offer.

Thanks to NZOSS support, we offer a Big Blue Button online connection to
our meeting: https://bbb.nzoss.nz/b/rik-huz-nrm-vmu
This session we'll make comparison across the field: https://jitsi.org &
https://meet.jit.si etc.

We hope to see you there. Thank you for the support of these workshops.

Kind regards,

Rik Tindall

pp Sydenham GNU/Linux Users
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/gnuz
Software Freedom Day, Team Christchurch South, 18-September-2021
* Freenix: Unix-derived Free and Open-Source Software (FOSS) esp. Linux
& BSD