[GNUz] [Linux-users] GNU/Linux support Weds 7.30pm

Rik Tindall ask at infohelp.co.nz
Tue Jan 26 23:27:09 GMT 2021

Hey Andrew

Thanks for this. You'll probably know Bryce from CLUG-of-old who
attended with the same kind of interest in Dec.

Many of us are of the generation who had live stage activity in our
youth, in the 1980s, that got sidelined by one thing or another. Then
the 1990s hit and the digital revolution transformed very much, like the
music trade and stage performance lighting... So, we're in catch-up mode
now, if we can find the time again.

This thread topic is a back-burner kind of curiosity, to recommence a
learning curve where many analogue devices of the past are tending
towards redundant. Hopefully we entertainment field users are not! lol

So, we find, USB-DMX devices are almost as diverse as the kinds of
digital-LED lighting units on the market today. At the cheaper, direct
import end of the USB-DMX device scale, there's less onboard smarts so
much more difficulty setting up, it appears. As usual, 'you get what you
pay for'. So invest in a ~$70+ piece of proprietary? kit to make life
easier, perhaps.

The manual for https://ftdichip.com/drivers/ shows that GNU/Linux does
get good consideration by some manufacturers, which is so good to see.
But at the ~$20 USB-DMX device level, the control software support is
opaque or complex or absent, whatever platform, at first blush.
Disabling the kernel driver then enabling a replacement module works
fine, but then what? ... How to utilise the enabled ftdichip device? ...

There's no hurry though as the inexpensive DMX lights are easily
programmed and networked in themselves, these days, making for a quite
usable display.

Note, this is DMX-3(pin) gear rather than the true (more expensive)
DMX-5 protocol that is being implemented / worked around. YMMV.

Will persevere, post updates, with next meeting Weds 3 March 7.30pm (as
library is upgrading lab next month).

Stay cool everyone!

Regards

Rik