[GNUz] [Fwd: Re: [NZOSS-Openchat] Software Freedom Day]

Rik Tindall ask at infohelp.co.nz
Mon Sep 7 00:55:49 BST 2009

Hello Glynn, kia ora NZOSS, hi CLUG,

Good SFD feature on RadioNZ last Thurs 11.07am - definitely prompting!
http://podcast.radionz.co.nz/ntn/ntn-20090903-1107-New_Technology_with_Colin_Jackson.ogg

We're slower off the mark than usual this year in Christchurch. CLUG
(CC) has dropped its club meetings, leading lights are somewhat dissipated.

But, we are SFD-ready:

http://softwarefreedomday.org/teams/Christchurch

http://www.infohelp.co.nz/sfd9.html - a poster for people to print off &
distribute please. ...

Glynn Foster wrote:
> On 14/08/2009, at 9:17 PM, Bruce Kingsbury wrote:
>
>> 2009/8/14 Don <don at catalyst.net.nz>:
>>
>>> Plans afoot for another great event at the Wellington Town Hall on
>>> Sunday 20th September (when the rest of the world is still on the
>>> 19th).
>>>
>>> http://softwarefreedomday.org.nz/
>>>
>>> Please let the organisers know about other events round the country
>>> so these can be widely publicised.
>>>
>> http://wlug.org.nz/sfd
>>

> This has now been added to http://softwarefreedomday.org.nz/NZ-Events
>
> If you'd like to update the blurb for the event, or any other details,
> let me know.
>
> (still waiting for details on Auckland...and elsewhere!)
>
> thanks,
>
> Glynn

... SFD Christchurch is a 10am to 4pm 19Sept computer-lab workshop, with
DVD screenings, talks and installfest space attached, in a suburban
library. From advertising & news coverage we get a good turnout, and
adapt to where the demand is focussed on the day. Some want fixit help,
most are newbies or just curious, and very easy to tutor, but mainly its
a relaxed and enjoyable social event for our (IT) community.

The workshop focus this year is likely to be the GNU Image Manipulation
Program (GIMP) - advancing attendee graphic skills - on top of Ubuntu &
FOSS mastery.

All other distros are welcome to be brought along too, either: a) as a
liveCD to run in the lab; or b) on a demo box, that could be MythTV, a
gaming platform, disc burner, etc etc.

Thanks for what you are doing for SFD in Wellington, and for making
notice of the other centre efforts.

--
Kind regards,
Rik Tindall