[GNUz] Shutting down CLUG wiki (including Fwd: Adding content to the NZLUG/WLUG wiki)

Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.net
Thu May 21 22:52:22 BST 2009

In recent years, pretty much the sole use of the CLUG wiki has been to
keep track of meetings and sometimes resources for those meetings.

Given that meetings are currently on a significant hiatus, and that
the bulk of the technical content of the CLUG wiki is already on
wiki.linux.net.nz[1], I'm planning to shut down[2] the CLUG wiki.

The http://wiki.linux.net.nz/CLUG page needs to be updated, and the
CLUG-specific content from the CLUG wiki needs to be moved there as
well. If no-one else says that they have done it, I'll do it myself
when I get a chance.

[1] -- A few months ago I did a big sweep through the CLUG wiki
contents, and given that our content licenses are compatible, I copied
any obviously unique and useful technical data directly to WLUG.

[2] -- Shut Down means "get rid of phpwiki & associated MySQL
database". I'm happy to continue hosting static files, redirects &c.

Why? The server I'm running the CLUG wiki on is very low on resources,
and phpwiki isn't lightweight (you may have noticed how slow the site
is these days). And no-one has been making significant use of the
service in recent years. And I don't have as much time to do proactive
maintenance on it as it needs, either.

The WLUG wiki is well-run and funded by an incorporated LUG, and there
is a clear invitation for other NZ people to utilise it. The only
thing CLUG would be losing is the ability to graphically brand their
own pages, which was never really done under the current system
anyway.

The other main user of the CLUG wiki is the Sydenham GNU/Linux Users,
who list their meetings. I suggest that they either use
wiki.linux.net.nz or possibly their wiki on hackstop.org.

I last proposed this in September 2008, and there were no real
objections then :
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-users@it.canterbury.ac.nz/msg51778.html
Content copied to WLUG at that time :
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-users@it.canterbury.ac.nz/msg51842.html