[GNUz] [IT] Greens urge end to software patents (DomPost)

Rik Tindall ask at infohelp.co.nz
Tue Aug 26 05:03:19 BST 2008

What a pity the Green Party has been roped into opportunism and
compromised integrity thus:

a) R.M. Stallman's visit is what energised the flourish of activity that
led to this news item, funded by supporters which included GP members
like myself. The purpose was explicitly to promote the Free culture
community which has always underpinned the yuppie code-whiz bogus brand
"Linux". This media item perpetuates a bald-faced marketing lie, that
"Linux" is anything separable from the GNU (is Not Unix) operating
system - other than a (not always 'Open') kernel. We expect such blatant
exploitation from shallow businesses, but from our politicians?.. that
is insupportable.

b) The next most eggregious falsehood in this business (not wider
'community') propaganda piece, after not honestly crediting GNU/Linux,
is that sentence part saying "the large range of free software means the
centre can experiment with packages and software tools at no cost"
purposefully degrades the Free Software brand in a most dilettante way.
To quote:

Free software is software which preserves the freedom of users to modify
and share software. We recognise these four rights that you, as a user
of the software, must have:

    * 0. The freedom to run the program, for any purpose.
    * 1. The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to
      your needs.
    * 2. The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbour.
    * 3. The freedom to improve the program, and release your
      improvements to the public, so that the whole community benefits.

See the Free Software Foundation <http://www.fsf.org/about/contact.html>
for more source material: http://www.fsf.org

Shame on IT/Metiria, for letting this shallow b.s. go out in her name.

~/rik