[GNUz] RMS Talk - Thanks Rik and co... where to now?

Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.net
Sun Aug 17 10:05:41 BST 2008

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 7:16 PM, Richard M. Stallman <rms at gnu.org> wrote:
> One way to start would be to rename the mailing list
> to gnu-linux-users.

<linux-users at it.canterbury.ac.nz> didn't feel that a name change was
possible for them. It will be interesting to see if your visit here
encourages a change ...

> This is precisely why I take pains to promote free/libre software
> rather than open source.

Well, in NZ we have a non-English Official Language; Māori. The two
meanings of Free are, to my admittedly low level of knowledge,
separable into separate words/phrases.

gratis/"Free of Charge" is something like "kore utu"  ("utu" is a
deeply meaningful word for cost, price, penalty)
libre/"Free from Restraints" might be more like "wātea" I think?

-jim