[GNUz] RMS Talk - Thanks Rik and co... where to now?

Don Gould don at bowenvale.co.nz
Sat Aug 16 09:05:40 BST 2008

I'd like to express my thanks to everyone who set up today's talk!

It was fantastic.  I learnt a lot of new things and cleared up
understanding of others.

Frankly I don't know where to start with what I heard today.

I've already spent 3 hours talking with my wife and father about the
issues and am no further ahead.

FREEDOM

I hope the group can spend some time talking more about the issues, to
help us all become more confident in explaining the concept of "Freedom"
to other people.

EDUCATION

I took on board what Richard had to say about the use of proprietary
software in our schools.

Personally I'm just embarrassed about how poor our current education
system is in this respect.

HARDWARE

I'm just over this issue right now.

I buy HP gear because it's reasonable, yet every time I do, I find that
there's stuff in it that is just frustrating to make go - wireless and
sleep mode was my last battle. (Google my battle with DV1000)

I've said it before that I just think is a mockery that HP sponsor so
many open source web sites with banner ads about how wonderful their
products are yet every time I try to use GNU/Linux on a machine I run
aground.

RICHARD

Thanks Richard for spending time in our city and taking the time to
present your view.  I enjoyed reading a biography about you and it was
an honour to see you speak in person!

Cheers Don