[GNUz] The Great Hall Booking Sponsorship Request

Don Gould don at bowenvale.co.nz
Tue Jul 29 01:26:32 BST 2008

Dear Nigel,

We are writing to you today to ask the Arts Centre Trust to consider
sponsoring our use of the Great Hall, or the Hurst Seager Room, on
Monday 18th of August from 7pm to 10:30pm.

We propose an open public event where Mr Richard Stallman, from
Massachusetts USA, will speak.

Donations will be invited to cover the cost of bringing Mr Stallman to
Christchurch. We are hopeful that his presentation will generate enough
interest to cover the necessary plane fares and leave a surplus towards
other hosting costs.

We would like to ask the Arts Centre to sponsor the entire cost of the
venue, but would also be happy to meet some of this cost if the event
does raise funds to a point that would allow us to do that.

As the founder of the Free Software Foundation and GNU software project,
Richard Stallman is a world renowned public speaker; see http://gnu.org

Richard Stallman is to free software what Bill Gates is to proprietary
software. It is both an honour and privilege to have him speaking in
Christchurch, on the last leg of his New Zealand tour in August.

Mr Stallman will be presenting a talk about the philosophy and the
history of free software around the world.

Free software is what powers most of the internet. Without it we simply
wouldn't have the quality of communications network that we all enjoy today.

Canterbury people and businesses benefit from free software every day
without realising it. Thousands of New Zealanders use free software
directly on their PC desktops too. Google is run on free software and
simply wouldn't exist if the people who built it had been forced to use
proprietary licensed software.

GNU software is all 'open-source'.  This means it can be used in
education for students to learn how programs and computers work:

"Source code is to software what a recipe is to a cake".

In line with the Free Software philosophy, we will not be charging a fee
for people to hear Mr Stallman, but will request donations to cover his
expenses to get here. Mr Stallman continues to inspire others to learn
and grow through community development around licensed free software
development.

Mr Stallman's point of view is important for both commercial and
educational arenas to understand, relating to computer infrastructure.
His work has inspired many to do great things, such as the "Linux"
software distributions that are the best known expressions of free software.

Mr Stallman presenting in our city is a gift of immeasurable value.  We
would like the city to present him the gift of being allowed to present
in the Great Hall.  We do not have a great choice of free or low cost
but spacious venues, and understand that Mr Stallman enjoys historic
architectural surroundings.

The BSD-GNU/Linux User community will be hosting Mr Stallman's visit to
Christchurch.  The group is made up of local software enthusiasts and
has no financial standing.

Free software drives more innovation and development within the
commercial software field, by helping keep that commercial world in
check and healthy. It makes a huge difference to every local community.
There are large but mostly unreported contributions made by free
software to the public good, through science and education as well as
through telecommunications.

What we can offer the Arts Centre in return for support of this
educational and cultural event is to host web site advertising, that
will be notified on public emailing lists and provide links to the Arts
Centre's web site.

We will fund a poster advertising promotion ourselves, and use community
notices, word of mouth and personal contact also to communicate the event.

We will hand out a small information sheet to attendees on the night and
we are happy to include a logo and contact details on all such flyers.

Regards

Don Gould for GNUZ.