[GNUz] [Fwd: Re: RMS to visit NZ]

Rik Tindall ask at infohelp.co.nz
Thu Jul 24 11:15:43 BST 2008

Hi all, thanks Tim & Don for the input.

Don Gould wrote:
> BTW... what is RMS planning on talking about?

There are a range of stock talks to choose from, as RMS indicated:

http://lists.ourshack.com/pipermail/gnuz/2008q3/001207.html

We'll probably go for option 1 or option 2, I'd say:

>/  Free Software in Ethics and in Practice
/>/
/>/ or
/>/
/>/  The Free Software Movement and the GNU/Linux Operating System

/- if we get a big hall, advertising, and an expected good public audience./
/

Or are there other requests? This can be negotiated, when we present our
confirmed 'events package' later on.

> Do we have a program?

Other than the above, whatever GLU members want to propose that RMS may
agree to.

I'm suggesting a formal launch of FSANZ.

Any ideas folks?

>> Tim wrote:
>>
>>> Re:

>> I must add that I'm not sure a talk by RMS at Uni is worthwhile,
>> although I'd really love it to happen. I just don't see the Free Culture
>> Club being able[1] to attract a reasonably sized audience. It would be
>> safer, I think, for us to put our effort into promoting RMS's talk(s) in
>> general. I'm going to suggest that on the FCC committee list and see
>> what people think.
>>
>> [1] Given both the current headless state of our club, and little
>> awareness/interest about Free and Open Source Software amongst
>> students/staff.

Taken onboard, Tim. A sad indictment of the state of the kiwi education
system now.

Great that you guys have given it a go out there though.

>> Anyway, I still intend to have a definite answer about a room by Friday.

Thanks, appreciated. We'll sort something, for sure.

InternetNZ could be sponsoring some of the travel, and there's a Lincoln
Uni nibble.

- Rik