[GNUz] [AGD] fyi

Rik Tindall ask at infohelp.co.nz
Wed Jul 23 08:14:15 BST 2008

Lois and Martin Griffiths wrote:
> I get all my news from the internet, ie, I don't believe much of the
> international news that  is dished out by corporate media.
>
> Lois
>
> *Death of Free Internet is Imminent*
>
> *Canada Will Become Test Case*
>
> *By Kevin Parkinson*
>
> The plan is to convert the Internet into a cable-like system, where
> customers sign up for specific web sites, and then pay to visit sites
> beyond a cutoff point.
> http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article20330.htm

You're dead right Lois, to be concerned.

The battle for public telecommunications channels is a very long and
important one. It goes back to the 1930s, when in the US, decades after
having to break the 'railway barons' then the Standard Oil monopoly,
all US home lines at that time. Many big related issues spun off of that
early regulation measure - the Federal Communications Commission
www.fcc.gov , IBM Personal Computer monopoly (4th in the line for
busting up), and Unix (internet base, etc etc) - the main rival to the
current /  greatest telecomms de facto monopoly ever: Microsoft (5th).

Theirs would be the kind of software to - combining business and
government control interests - 'channelise' what is currently free
(under user control).

So that's why there are a chain of green activists NZ-wide currently
working to put together a tour for the most effective and informative
person on Earth acting to protect our telecommunications rights, to
speak to the kiwi public: Richard M Stallman, of the GNU Project.

Tour details: http://www.tinyurl.com/rmsnz

Chch date: Mon 18 Aug, 7.30pm, details tba.

More info: http://gnu.org

Regards, Rik