[GNUz] [RMS to visit NZ]

Don Gould don at bowenvale.co.nz
Wed Jul 16 12:58:00 BST 2008

Rik Tindall wrote:
> Don Gould wrote:
>> Should there also be a registration/expression of interest?
> I'd say that this thread (& mail-list) is the expression of interest.

Which sort of suggests to me that a venue that will seat more than 100
may be a bit ambitious.

> I'd say it's our job to build the interest, which won't be too easy.

I agree.

As I see it, like it or not, Christchurch is very cosy with closed
source licensed software.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but Jade isn't OSS?

The uni and polytech should be doing more to push GNU but they're not
and haven't for the last 5 years that I've been on these lists.

I don't mean to pour cold water here...  I'm more interested in being a
realist and not paying for a hall that we then can't fill and look
stupid for.

I personally would be happy to throw $40 in to any hat and would prefer
to see the cash go to the man rather than some local hall owner.

I'd prefer he had some spending money to enjoy some of our local places
and food.

> This might matter. But not if we're out on time from here: Our City
> O-Tautahi <http://www.ccc.govt.nz/ourcity/>.
>
> We have a pencil booking, 7-10pm for 100 people seated @ $150. It's
> warm, a moderate goal to fill the room, and a tidy solution.

That seems like a great idea to me.  It's not going to hurt our wallets
if no one chips in with much.

I don't follow what venue you're talking about, but if it's a CCC venue
then I think the CCC should be picking up the tab.

Cheers Don