[GNUz] [RMS to visit NZ]

Rik Tindall ask at infohelp.co.nz
Wed Jul 16 12:44:32 BST 2008

Don Gould wrote:
> Should there also be a registration/expression of interest?

I'd say that this thread (& mail-list) is the expression of interest.

i.e. clug people know that we're here, available to be joined with for
such subject matter.

Apart from local techies - some of whom may like to show up - the rest
of Chch/Canty wouldn't know about this side of computing.

> All this talk about big numbers, but how can we be assured of big
> numbers without some community expression of interest?

I'd say it's our job to build the interest, which won't be too easy.

> Cheers Don
>
> Sue McGaw wrote:
>
>> its great news about the visit
>>  one small thought about hidden costs and choosing venue-
>>  - some venues charge an extra fee for a raised stage or platform, other
>> places already have a platform-

Not really an issue - there or not, a platform doesn't matter.

>> also overhead projection capability.

not needed by RMS. We could provide our own if any extra requirement.

>>  another recent unexpected cost at a public event was the paid security
>> person after a certain hour in a public building.
>>  Cheers sue

This might matter. But not if we're out on time from here: Our City
O-Tautahi <http://www.ccc.govt.nz/ourcity/>.

We have a pencil booking, 7-10pm for 100 people seated @ $150. It's
warm, a moderate goal to fill the room, and a tidy solution.

Otherwise I'd tend to go for our SFD venue - probably free. Perhaps
seats for 40 though? Not much room to move after that, and there could
be a bit of local techie interest turn up once the word gets around.
Quite hard to say re size - it's a one-off.