[GNUz] [Fwd: Re: RMS to visit NZ]

Rik Tindall ask at infohelp.co.nz
Wed Jul 16 10:06:05 BST 2008

Don Gould wrote:
> Jim Cheetham wrote:
>
>> .. Just present the Internet over
>> ethernet, with DHCP.
>>
> IIRC Rik doesn't have BB at his house in Cashmere.  He also didn't seem
> very interested in getting it.

I do have to accept the bandwidth expansion now, for work purposes. It's
ordered, but no confirmed delivery date yet. The 1st 3 months free, from
my ISP, proved adequate bait. Just need time to chase the connection up.
Have a Linksys wifi router ready, and Cat5 can do too.

Thanks guys. A few emails re organising flights etc exchanged so far, so
we're still on track. Maybe we should open a pledge request to cover
flights: Palmerston North (or Wellington - not sure yet) to
Christchurch, and Christchurch to Auckland (that much is known)? - If
one booking can't be made until RMS is traveling through the North
Island, then that fare could prove relatively pricey.

Also, RMS suggests we aim bigger than a 100 seat room, for our 7.30pm
Monday 18 August main meeting plan. This place is 'great': Arts Centre
Great Hall
<http://www.artscentre.org.nz/Venues-for-Hire/The-Great-Hall/>. They
even do a sponsorship arrangement, that could reduce the $420.00 bill
for going there:

"The Arts Centre provides sponsorship for concerts and events that can
show a positive contribution to art, culture, creativity and education.
Groups seeking sponsorship should apply in writing. Sponsorship is at
the sole discretion of the Arts Centre of Christchurch Trust."**

If someone would like to draft up such a letter for us - any or all of
GLU/GNUz, Free Culture Club, FSANZ, or SFD Team Christchurch can be
listed as the organising group/s, probably - that would speed progress.

Or we could go for that evening in a UniCanty lecture theatre, as Mark
suggests - if Free Culture can book it cheaply? I'd rather we did two
(or three - a meal out) events though, to maximise promotional work. The
Central city seems more accessible, and in line with the RMS taste for
historic buildings and settings, if it comes to a choice. Tuesday 19
August at Uni? - I can be there (taxi) during that day, but less likely
that night. Sunday would be our CLUG/meal night - if RMS agrees.

Re the work we did last year -
http://www.infohelp.co.nz/fsanz-constitution - I asked:

"..your approval [or veto] of that development is sought; or at least FSANZ may be something you could consider or promote during your travels throughout New Zealand."

RMS replied: "I will look at the site, and maybe do this.  From what you've said so far, it sounds like a good thing."

So this might be a 'foundation meeting' we're organising.

Cheers, Rik