[GNUz] Lost in the battle

Sue McGaw gnuz@inode.co.nz
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 18:14:03 +1200

 Hi Phil, dont worry, sometimes its good to air opinions and discussions
 youre always most welcome.
 and I reckon, as long as the tools work, fine, and if we can learn
something along the way, that changes our points of view, this is fine
also. in the nursery world tho, I cant just spout Latin hopefully,
......and say Astelia chathamica when I really mean Astelia fruiticosa.
  or even this one "Himalayacalamus falconeri ".. in the hope that im
naming the correct bamboo! it pays to be more precise. thank goodness
Foss is short!

precise naming does have merit, and like the plant world, there is such
a thing as "common usage" eg "Flax" rather than Phormium tenax.. However
there are certain times when right naming is appropriate.

I found reading a full computer history  a bit  more helpful in how
names came to be, and  see where "offtrack common usage names have come
from, rather than more precise terms.
 its all a learning curve.

 Cheers Sue