[GNUz] Re: Naming Groups was: UTP Cables from Solid Core

gnuz@inode.co.nz gnuz@inode.co.nz
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 14:52:25 +1300 (NZDT)

Rik wrote:

> Incorrect on that point. Whether it's the UniCanterburyLU list, or the
> 'CLUG' meeting that's been spawned from it - and claims monopoly right
> to the former - GNU discussion specifically is anathema to both. With
> emphasis, along the lines of 'we've heard it all before and it only
> causes arguments. anyway, we mostly disagree with RMS' - to paraphrase
> Zane, the UCLU sysad.

I have snipped a big chunk, not because I didn't read it though.

Rik I think everyone who uses Linux knows what a debt is owed to GNU in
terms of software and the pursuit of freedom. Granted, not everyone of
those users agrees with every pronouncement of RMS. However I don't think
its true to categorise anyone I know in CLUG as "anti-RMS".

Anyway there probably is a need for a CLUG meeting in which licensing and
the current debates between "Free" and "Open" (and indeed "closed") are
discussed and explained. I suggest you as a speaker. Would you be up for
it?