[GNUz] SFD-5

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Mon, 09 Oct 2006 12:22:28 +1300

Keith McGavin wrote re:
>> Pursuant to last night's GLU discussion on promoting FOSS once more this
>> year - particularly to business -
>>
>> Opening times and location for your diary are:
>> Tue 21 November 2006: 8.00am ? 5.00pm
>> Wed 22 November 2006: 9.00am - 1.00pm
>>

> Rik,
>
> This Connectivity convention is on Tues+Wed when I have to be at work.

Yes, that'll count most user-advocates out :-/

but we do have some keen to be there :-)

> And what you are suggesting is not the best way to promote FOSS as
> Gnuz has not been registered to display within the event.

Umm.. ?

B-GLU could register (@$500 = _not_), but  Gnuz is only a mail-list.

I have registered as a visitor, and recommend other people wanting to do
some advocacy work do so too:

http://www.esconnectivity.org.nz

But how is wearing SFD-Ts - smiling & talking with people, & giving out
CDs - going to be a problem? - Outside on the street, or inside the
convention? We're allowed to be there in both cases, and will be adding
to the diversity of the event.

>> PS Welcome Ritchie, and any more new/SFD subscribers we have.....
>>

> Ritchie had a Toshiba laptop with 64 meg ram that debian would not
> install on. I am certain that Puppy Linux and Slackware will both
> install on this lappie.
>
> Puppy is particularly easy for newbies and can run on as low as 32
> meg ram with swap space. Includes mozilla and wine for running MYOB.
>                    http://www.puppylinux.org

Good call. After this third reference to the distro, from GLU meetings,
the message is finally sinking in! Whereas us geeks have ways to wangle
good new tek without thinking hard about it, most users have more
'attachment' to their old gear. So as well as establishing some easy
install/update recommendations like K/Ubuntu & *FreeBSD, we do need to
become systematic about supporting low-spec installs too. Puppy seems to
have that market cornered, so we want to start taking its lessons
onboard, fast. (e.g. my old laptop could use it right now, and it lacks
a CDROM drive - so how?)

- Will swap a disk with you tomorrow please.

> Did you hear back from Ritchie?  I can visit his place and
> install either puppy or slackware otherwise we can leave it
> till the next Gnuz meeting.

Ritchie is on this list now, and may like to post a reply as to what
help he would like from us next. He had timetable issues, IIRC.

> cheers,
> keith.

Thanks, Rik