[GNUz] Re: [NZOSS-OpenChat] Two days to go for Software Freedom Day registrations...

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Tue, 18 Jul 2006 23:11:09 +1200

Hi NZOSS folk, Hamilton and Wellington SFD teams, CLUG,

Great to see your announcements to list, and the familiar names attached.

Just checking in on behalf of SFD Christchurch. Our local event is
steadily taking shape, but ahead of that work is to support Joel, Vik,
and Craig's initiative to see us all working together towards SFD/FOSS
promotion a bit more. So here's an idea to get the country talking about
our quality software community, and addressing the recurrent NZOSS
Trademe thread.

Craig Box wrote:

>... Still no Auckland or Dunedin team!

Please have a look at:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Threads.aspx?topic=18

Quite recently I had cause to open a Trademe account (cheaper cellphone
replacement), and I'm sure that a majority of our users have accounts
there too. This is a suggestion that we start using these accounts more
productively, for FOSS growth.

It is quite amazing how much *nix culture there is on Trademe. There is
more newbie support done there each day than at any individual LUG, I'm
guessing, and all by experienced users the LUGs mostly don't seem to
know. With just a little communication we should be cohering our
dispersed community, through the free NZ-wide forum resource provided by
Trademe.

If people are able to add comments to the FOSS Category thread noted
above it will keep the topic alive, and bump it up the forum stack.
Please take the discussion wherever you like. I posted a smaller message
on the same subject a couple of weeks ago, told noone, and it sank like
a stone. But if we get a reasonable discussion going this time we could
well get the trader Category area we actually need, and computer users
nationwide will start hearing about *nix support and SFD - for example -
starting now.

I think this is the biggest potential boost to FOSS promotion that we
currently have at our disposal, and we would be wise to use it. Thanks
for your time, and see you on the forums!

Kind regards, Rik

pp SFD teams Christchurch and World

http://www.softwarefreedomday.org