[GNUz] Re: [SFI] Re: [SFD-TC] Team Reports

Matt Oquist gnuz@inode.co.nz
Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:13:03 -0400

--81JctsDUVPekGcy+

> > struck a snag. The SFD website seems practically dysfunctional. People=
=20
> > are making jokes about the forums full of link-spam pron etc. The=20
> > gallery for 2004 is missing. It has a very neglected feel to it. A=20
> > really undermining put-off.
>=20
> Yeah, completely understood. The spam issue has been a problem and we wou=
ld
> love some help. We are about to announce a compeition which would hopeful=
ly
> provide some incentive, however keeping the forums clean would be good. I
> think the mailing list and the start guide have been useful though and
> getting people to communicate via the mailing list has been to my mind mo=
re
> useful, but that is no excuse for the forums to be poo :)

We've got a couple people cleaning this mess up right now; we'll be
announcing thew fresh, new forums in the next few days.

> > What's going on with SFI? There's no word coming down through the=20
> > mailing list, and it seems a bit of a mistake to have divided out=20
> > linguistically. On balance, I wouldn't be surprised if the=20
> > Spanish-speakers were feeling undervalued. Any dialogue is better than=
=20
> > no dialogue, for developing community.
>=20
> Umm, no word abou what? Matt and I have posted to the SFD teams mailing l=
ist
> a few times, and I guess things will be ramp up now.

I agree about dividing the list, but it seemed to make sense. My guess
is that the bilingual folks will stay on both lists, and some real
discussion will start on the list-es as Sept. 16th draws nearer.

> > Having been with SFD from the start, it seems to me that resources and=
=20
> > interest have been drawn away from the project since 11Sept2005. Into=
=20
> > Ubuntu, I have assumed, which is fair enough in a way. I just expected=
=20
> > things to leap forward again after the release of Dapper.
>=20
> Right, well the organisation basically until this year consisted of two
> people with a grand total of $2000 funding (and free CD's and shipping fr=
om
> Canonical). So it has probably grown a bit fast for them :) I'm on the bo=
ard
> this year along with some new people and we would love some more help :)

Spot-on diagnoses, there. Henrik's up to his eyeballs in work, as am
I. Other board members have family health issues, and I think we're
all feeling a bit weary this time around. Pia's been a huge help!

> > The forum garbage is badly obstructing any sense of coherent developmen=
t=20
> > for SFD06. Anything I can do to help? Moderator rights? - Happy to do=
=20
> > bulk maintenance.
>=20
> That would be great. I've cc'd the SFD board. Matt/Henrik, can you give R=
ik
> whatever rights he needs to help on the forums and website?

I'll email separately to introduce Rik to Robert and Russell, who are
doing the cleanup & reinstall.

--matt

SoftwareFreedomDay.org :
   Celebrating Free and Open Source Software in Your Community
info AT softwarefreedomday.org
http://softwarefreedomday.org/

SFD Sponsors:
http://canonical.com