[GNUz] Reminder: Installfest-SFD workshop tonight

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Wed, 05 Jul 2006 13:25:01 +1200

Hi CLUG & GNUz,

> Freenix Community Networks meet this week:
>
> Wednesday July 5th, 7.30pm at the Sydenham Community Association Hall,
> 25 Hutcheson Street, Christchurch.

Our 6th wireless workshop. We have a host Access Point running off an
Ubuntu 6.06 laptop, sharing dialup ppp, which setup can be demonstrated
upon request. Our resources will be employed tonight as so:

> These workshops are an opportunity to receive help with *nix box
> installs and repairs. We will be networking all the systems that
> arrive, wirelessly where possible, taking turns then to serve X to
> projector screen using RFB (x0rfbserver). Pre-install this package, or
> collect it via our shared onsite Internet, to have ten minutes
> audience time on whatever *nix tuition approach you might like to
> develop.

You'll need all your own power cables/board, and a LAN (Cat5) cable to
get on the network if you don't have wireless.

> As agreed at the start of the year, a CLUG Installfest will be held in
> conjunction with Software Freedom Day
> <http://www.softwarefreedomday.org> on Saturday 16th September. The
> CLUG St Albans venue has been booked for that day, 12-5pm, and so
> begin our preparations.
>
> There are eight 30-minute speaker slots available, so the next three
> workshops are to build up our transplantable network and presentations
> ready for SFD-Installfest.

A kind of 'Linux Roadshow' (BSD/GNU/Linux/OSS) is achievable from this
method of program development. Its content depends upon contributors,
but introductory-level talks are what's needed for newcomers. This will
add to the traditional Installfest format more of an expo flavour.  Free
and Open-Source Software (FOSS) is the term used for what SFD is
promoting. Get involved now if you want to part of the group
presentation. It's too cold to enjoy going out much just now, but by
mid-September we're well into a cheery new season and SFD becomes a lot
of fun attracting a fair turnout.

> All welcome, light supper provided, donations cover costs.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> pp SFD team Christchurch,

See you soon