[GNUz] Isn't Clark Connect non-Free?

Timothy Musson gnuz@inode.co.nz
Sun, 9 Apr 2006 15:39:56 +1200

Timothy Musson, 2006-04-07 15:46:44:
> <http://www.clarkconnect.com/>
> isn't their software non-Free?

Okay, I emailed them yesterday. Here's the reply:

---8<---

  Tim,

  I have to admit, I had to dig around for this:

  http://wiki.clarkconnect.com/wiki/index.php?title=GPL_License

  All software written by Point Clark Networks is licensed under
  the GPL with the exception of Suva which is used to run secure
  webservices. It is not removable without impact on updates,
  services etc.

  ClarkConnect 4.0 will be using a 2nd generation of Suva which
  we will be licensing under the GPL.

  If you're looking for source code, please see:

  http://download.clarkconnect.com/

  Kind regards,

--->8---

So, ClarkConnect consists of Free (libre) software except for one
component named Suva, which will be GPL'ed in version 4.0 of
ClarkConnect. So, good news for version 4.0! :)

Anyway! I brought it up because I think we're a Free Software user
group. We are, right? So we should be pretty careful about what we
encourage people to install.

Tim
--
Timothy Musson  -  trmusson@ihug.co.nz