[GNUz] O/S compare

Wesley Parish gnuz@inode.co.nz
Sun, 06 Nov 2005 20:47:51 +1300

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 16:57, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 14:13:52 +1300
>
> Wesley Parish <wes.parish@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> > > Their x86 move is on to 'standard' x86 chips, but they will only
> > > support installation on Apple-assembled machines, just as they do now.
> > > Early developer versions have been seen to run on standard PC machines,
> > > but Apple don't like it, and will probably use both technical and legal
> > > avenues to prevent it from happening.
> >
> > But given that OpenDarwin plus X plus window manager runs happily on an
> > X86 PC, and given that GNUStep is a clone of OpenStep which was the
> > opened specs of NeXTStep, which is also the basis for the current
> > Macintosh OS X's graphical interface, I'd say the horse has already
> > bolted.
>
> IMHO it's often the other integrated apps that people buy mac's for -
> iTunes, GarageBand, iMovies etc etc

Precisely.  It was what people bought Macs for in the first place.  Macs
pioneered Desktop Publishing, and countless people who would otherwise have
never bought a computer, hurried out and bought a Mac - because they could
get things done on them.

Apple owned that brand of tools for a good half-decade at the very least; they
should stop worrying about the OS and graphical user interface now it's in
capable hands and concentrate on the things they are brilliant at - finding a
niche no one has suspected up till then, then providing software for it.