[GNUz] O/S compare

Richard Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Sun, 06 Nov 2005 17:59:54 +1300

Jim Cheetham wrote:

> Apple have open-sourced the underlying OS, Darwin. They have retained=20
> a  closed status on their graphical interfaces and on their=20
> application  framework, which is what people using a Mac generally=20
> interact with.
>
> Their x86 move is on to 'standard' x86 chips, but they will only=20
> support  installation on Apple-assembled machines, just as they do=20
> now. Early  developer versions have been seen to run on standard PC=20
> machines, but  Apple don't like it, and will probably use both=20
> technical and legal  avenues to prevent it from happening.

Thanks for the clarifications Jim & everyone. Good to know.

Is OS/X a BSD? Yes: Dale's answered that a single BSD license/program in=20
the whole O/S means that it is. So that's a very low requisite for=20
belonging to 'the BSD family', and includes LINUX=AE - even more than OS/=
X (?)

I guess that's why everything just gets called 'Unix'. ..But that's a=20
brand too ..moreso that BSD.

I agree with Wes about what Novell must be thinking to do next. But why=20
wouldn't they shift to license charges? Suse/RedHat wars?..

No doubt we will always have a 'freenix' available, referring to BSD (&=20
friends).

Cheers, Rik