[GNUz] O/S compare

Nick Rout gnuz@inode.co.nz
Sat, 5 Nov 2005 17:40:39 +1300

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 16:42:43 +1300
Rik Tindall <ask@infohelp.co.nz> wrote:

> >And I believe Apple do sell OS/X, or at least I've never heard of it
> >being gratis!
> >

> They sell computers - subtle difference. OS/X could become a standalone
> product quickly though, post the x86 shift. Jim once advised me they'd
> probably keep the exclusive status quo, however. Otherwise the main
> reason for buying Macs would be lost!

They also sell the OS - just ask people about how much lighter their
wallet is after an upgrade to a new version!

I haven't read much about the shift to intel processors. I mean I know
its happenning, but I am unclear on details. but it seems to me:

1. intel is not equivalent to x86, intel make other processors than the
x86 range, and for a customer the size of apple could even make a
custom chip.

2. even if they use x86, then tht doesn't imply the pc style
architecture.

In other words Apple machines *may* still be very hardware specific,
and expecting your copy of OS/X for Intel to work on a bog standard
beige box is not a given AFAIK.

If it does work on the same machine as windows/linux/freebsd then you
can bet your bottom dollar there will be plenty of copies floating
around the peer to peer networks and asian markets shortly after
release!