[GNUz] O/S compare

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Sat, 05 Nov 2005 16:42:43 +1300

Nick Rout wrote:

>>If Apple ever start selling OSX, then that would create a non-free BSD
>>

>Rik, try and think of the individual elements of what is being sold or
>distributed.
>
>AFAIK the OS/X core or kernel is based on BSD and is open source.

Mach, & yes it must be open-source (GNU use Mach too).

>However OS/X is more than the kernel and most of the operating system
>is proprietary, or at least the bits that make it different to other
>OSes.

There's enough BSD in there to make it a BSD, but also partially GNU:

http://www.apple.com/opensource/

Then the bits you are referring to.. what a hotch-potch!

>And I believe Apple do sell OS/X, or at least I've never heard of it
>being gratis!

They sell computers - subtle difference. OS/X could become a standalone
product quickly though, post the x86 shift. Jim once advised me they'd
probably keep the exclusive status quo, however. Otherwise the main
reason for buying Macs would be lost!

--
Rik Tindall, InfoHelp Services <http://www.infohelp.co.nz>, on:
FreeBSD 5.4-Release free O/S, GNOME 2.10.0 desktop,