[GNUz] O/S compare

Wesley Parish gnuz@inode.co.nz
Fri, 04 Nov 2005 20:32:47 +1300

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 18:47, Richard Tindall wrote:
> Thanks Dale,
>
> Dale DuRose wrote:
> >Ah well i guess we should be comparing license over OSes.
>
> At some points that's necessary.
>
> >Anyway this is my view on this.
> >
> >If a software distribution with source code is licensed under BSD
> >style license. Then in this case it's a open source software
> >distribution.
> >
> >If a software distribution with out source code is licensed under BSD
> >style license. Then in this case it's a close source software
> >distribution.
> >
> >BSD Style licenses give you the option of having closed or open source
> > software.
> >
> >But both are freely distributable. If you get a copy you can pass it on.
>
> Is there some guarantee that a closed sourced distribution must be free?
>
> E.g. they could choose any sort of licensing thereafter, including GPL
> or MozPL or whatever? Can't they choose a private license of their own
> even, & sell the product?

Yes, that's the case.

> >It also allow for modification. With out having to release modified
> >source code. All you need is to retain BSD license in the end product
> >eg OSX.
>
> So that makes OSX still BSD then? Of this I was unsure, as it includes
> GCC & Mach (haven't checked the licensing of Mach yet).

Mach is licensed under the BSD-style license; actually closer to the=20
MIT-style:
/*=20
 * Mach Operating System
 * Copyright (c) 1991,1990,1989 Carnegie Mellon University
 * All Rights Reserved.
 *=20
 * Permission to use, copy, modify and distribute this software and its
 * documentation is hereby granted, provided that both the copyright
 * notice and this permission notice appear in all copies of the
 * software, derivative works or modified versions, and any portions
 * thereof, and that both notices appear in supporting documentation.
 *=20
 * CARNEGIE MELLON ALLOWS FREE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE IN ITS=20
 * CONDITION.  CARNEGIE MELLON DISCLAIMS ANY LIABILITY OF ANY KIND FOR
 * ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE.
 *=20
 * Carnegie Mellon requests users of this software to return to
 *=20
 *  Software Distribution Coordinator  or  Software.Distribution@CS.CMU.EDU
 *  School of Computer Science
 *  Carnegie Mellon University
 *  Pittsburgh PA 15213-3890
 *=20
 * any improvements or extensions that they make and grant Carnegie the
 * rights to redistribute these changes.
 */

Note "requests" not "demands".

> >Why is BSD "source - freedom to open-legacy?"
> >
> >Because if the legacy software distribution contains source code eg
> >FreeBSD 5.4.
> >And software distribution is freely distributable under BSD license.
> >
> >So if you closed the source in FreeBSD 5.5 but FreeBSD 5.4 would still
> >be freely distributable because its source code in the software
> >distribution FreeBSD 5.4 is licensed under an BSD style license.
>
> Ok. - Jim's point too. I've changed that chart accordingly, & will
> ponder the new version.
> http://www.infohelp.co.nz/freenix1.html
>
> I'm trying to make a reference page that is accurate, offensive to none,
> and useful for people trying to understand & explain the complexities
> succinctly. Am I there yet?
>
> OSX calls itself UNIX-based <http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/unix/>
> rather than a BSD. Should I too? (I.e. not list OSX as a BSD).
>
> If Apple ever start selling OSX, then that would create a non-free BSD,
> as I see it so far...
> (CD sets are sold for reproduction cost only, for *BSD, historically.)

Well, SunOS used to be a non-free BSD, but then they also gave a lot back. =
=20
Indeed, a lot of what was called Unix(TM) was actually BSD.

> >Here is a template of a BSD license .
> >Copyright (c) <YEAR>, <OWNER>
> >All rights reserved.
> >Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
> >modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
> >met:
> >=E2=80=A2	Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
> >notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
> >=E2=80=A2	Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyri=
ght
> >notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
> >documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
> >=E2=80=A2	Neither the name of the <ORGANIZATION> nor the names of its
> >contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from
> >this software without specific prior written permission.
> >THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS
> >"AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
> >LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR
> >A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT
> >OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
> >SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT
> >LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE,
> >DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY
> >THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
> >(INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE
> >OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
>
> This is no more cost-free than the GPL ensures?
>
> >=18=C3=953=E2=84=A2=C2=A8=C2=A5=C5=A0x%=C5=A0=C3=8BF5L=C3=A2=C5=BE=E2=80=
=A1^r=E2=80=B0=C3=B3=E2=80=A0=C3=9Bi=C3=BF=C3=B9b=C2=B2=C3=9B(=C2=BA=C2=BB!=
i=C3=89=1C=C2=A2o=C3=A6j)fj=7F=C3=A5=C5=A0=C3=8Bb=EF=BF=BD=C3=BA?=E2=80=9A{=
=C2=B3

> What the?
>
> Cheers,

=2D-=20