[GNUz] O/S compare

Richard Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Fri, 04 Nov 2005 18:47:07 +1300

Thanks Dale,

Dale DuRose wrote:

>Ah well i guess we should be comparing license over OSes.
> =20

At some points that's necessary.

>Anyway this is my view on this.
>
>If a software distribution with source code is licensed under BSD
>style license. Then in this case it's a open source software
>distribution.
>
>If a software distribution with out source code is licensed under BSD
>style license. Then in this case it's a close source software
>distribution.
>
>BSD Style licenses give you the option of having closed or open source s=
oftware.

>But both are freely distributable. If you get a copy you can pass it on.
> =20

Is there some guarantee that a closed sourced distribution must be free?

E.g. they could choose any sort of licensing thereafter, including GPL=20
or MozPL or whatever? Can't they choose a private license of their own=20
even, & sell the product?

>It also allow for modification. With out having to release modified
>source code. All you need is to retain BSD license in the end product
>eg OSX.
> =20

So that makes OSX still BSD then? Of this I was unsure, as it includes=20
GCC & Mach (haven't checked the licensing of Mach yet).

>Why is BSD "source - freedom to open-legacy?"
>
>Because if the legacy software distribution contains source code eg
>FreeBSD 5.4.
>And software distribution is freely distributable under BSD license.
>
>So if you closed the source in FreeBSD 5.5 but FreeBSD 5.4 would still
>be freely distributable because its source code in the software
>distribution FreeBSD 5.4 is licensed under an BSD style license.
>
> =20

Ok. - Jim's point too. I've changed that chart accordingly, & will=20
ponder the new version.
http://www.infohelp.co.nz/freenix1.html

I'm trying to make a reference page that is accurate, offensive to none,=20
and useful for people trying to understand & explain the complexities=20
succinctly. Am I there yet?

OSX calls itself UNIX-based <http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/unix/>=20
rather than a BSD. Should I too? (I.e. not list OSX as a BSD).

If Apple ever start selling OSX, then that would create a non-free BSD,=20
as I see it so far...
(CD sets are sold for reproduction cost only, for *BSD, historically.)

>Here is a template of a BSD license .
>Copyright (c) <YEAR>, <OWNER>
>All rights reserved.
>Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
>modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
>met:
>=95	Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
>notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
>=95	Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
>notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
>documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
>=95	Neither the name of the <ORGANIZATION> nor the names of its
>contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from
>this software without specific prior written permission.
>THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS
>"AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
>LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR
>A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT
>OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
>SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT
>LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE,
>DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY
>THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
>(INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE
>OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
> =20

This is no more cost-free than the GPL ensures?

>=18=D53=99=A8=A5=8Ax%=8A=CBF5L=E2=9E=87^r=89=F3=86=DBi=FF=F9b=B2=DB(=BA=BB=
!i=C9=1C=A2o=E6j)fj=7F=E5=8A=CBb=9D=FA?=82{=B3

What the?

Cheers,

--=20
Rik Tindall, InfoHelp Services <http://www.infohelp.co.nz>, on:
Ubuntu GNU/Linux 5.04 free OS, 2.6.10-5-k7 kernel, GNOME 2.10.0 desktop