[GNUz] Re: FreeBSD was ubuntu update errors

Andrew Turner gnuz@inode.co.nz
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 12:54:19 +1300

Richard Tindall wrote:

> Hi Andrew. Thanks for these..
>
> Andrew Turner wrote:
>
>>> gdm/Gnome - but only as root so far
>>

>> Did you add gdm_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf ?
>

> I have now, rebooted, but still "$... gdm-binary: Only root wants to
> run gdm"

Have you changed the /etc/ttys file? gdm dosn't like to be started from
there and xdm could cause a conflict.

>> What video card do you have?
>

> It's a Dell OptiPlex GX110 slimline , with onboard:

I have one of them running headless.

> & http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.4R/hardware-i386.html#AUDIO
> Intel 810 integrated sound devices

The driver is snd_ich. To test if it works run as root:
kldload snd_ich
cat /dev/sndstat

The /dev/sndstat should contain something like:
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Intel ICH (82801AA)> at io 0xd800, 0xdc80 irq 10 bufsz 16384 kld
snd_ich (1p/1r/0v channels duplex default)

> ( pcm(4)
> <http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=pcm&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+5.4-RELEASE>
> driver)

The pcm driver is the abstraction layer above the video cards. It is
used to send the audio to the correct driver.

> Intel 810 chipset includes the video description irrc, + genericy
> applies:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.4R/hardware-i386.html#MISC
> "VGA-compatible video cards ( vga(4)
> <http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=vga&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+5.4-RELEASE>
> driver)

The vga driver is only for the console. You might want to read
http://xorg.freedesktop.org/X11R6.8.0/doc/i810.html
The relative Device section for the config file appears to be:
       Section "Device"
           Identifier "Intel i810"
           Driver     "i810"
       EndSection