[GNUz] Re: FreeBSD was ubuntu update errors

Richard Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 12:51:12 +1300

Nick Rout wrote:

>IIRC gdm should run as root, as it is arbitrating logins to the system
>from any number of different users.
>
>Is xdm working?

Yes, also only as root.

But there's just a session log open & mouse pointer when it runs.
Nothing useable.

I had to use top to kill it.

Error message lines before that test:

# X -config /root/xorg.conf.new
... Module Loader present ...
[drm] failed to load kernel module "i810"
(EE) I810(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed. Disabling DRI

# modprobe i810
modprobe: Command not found

> This page tells you how to set up xdm and the following
>page (hint, the link that says "Next") tells you how to get it to use
>gdm instead of xdm.
>
>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-xdm.html
>
>The second page also tells you how to run gnome directly, without a
>display manager, which may be perfectly acceptable for you on a single
>user system.

Checking these too now..

Cheers,

--
Richard Tindall, InfoHelp Services <http://www.infohelp.co.nz>, on:
Ubuntu GNU/Linux 5.04 free OS, 2.6.10-5-k7 kernel, GNOME 2.10.0 desktop