[GNUz] test clock

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Mon, 16 May 2005 17:04:16 +1200

Nick Rout wrote:

>>Yes, we got it in the end.
>>

>before the distro change wasn't it?

Yes. And Suse is still safely in place, just in case it gets preferred;
I clipped another 10GB off XP for Ubuntu. Suse Yast & fdisk did the job
well.

>I didn't know they had removed theming support from SuSE?

Haven't played round with it enough to know. I thought it was the (poor)
video support. Ubu-Gnome just looks sharper, if more basic, out of the
box. It displays clearer & tidier.

>>Now she has something she likes much better, of a professionally sharp
>>appearance, plus more regular support.
>>
>dunno that i would put support for ubuntu ahead of SuSE?

It depends where one is looking. GLU adds an extra focus.

>Hmm I see see ubuntu as good if it has what u want in it, but falls down on hardware support to an extent (viz vatsala's modem!),

that's common to all Linux's, except Xandro$, from what I have seen.

> and package
>selection (unless you want to try and break its philosophy and maybe its whole being) by introducing outside packages.

I'm not troubled getting everything necessary so far.

>Don't get me wrong I do quite like it, but not sure that it is ideal by
>any stretch. I still agree with the position you held a year ago when we
>did the last installfest, that SuSE is the best for newbies.

Ubu wasn't out then. I find it better to use, with Apt over RPM as a
surety; not much wrong with Suse's RPMs tho, unless you want Gnome - it
lags.

Both are good, but there's an advanced path to Debian worth having.

Most installees get left high & dry with what's provided them, & are not
seen again.

>Nick

- Rik

on new Ubuntu desktop, with Firestarter 1.0.1. RedHat Linux becoming
history..