[GNUz] Ubuntu, hackfest, SFD1

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Sat, 23 Apr 2005 00:31:00 +1200

Hi all,

Just a final post from my WartyPreview4.09 partition, before Hoary5.04
overwrites it. 4.10 will remain, in the interim, until 5.10 (which
sounds useable? tho unstable now). I like this distro, as an intro to /
easier Debian, and it keeps working well (PCMCIA modem on wvdial). The
5.04LiveCD shows the upgrade worthwhile (thanks Jim); soon we may be
able to update the installs fully without overwriting the partition,
like Gentoo & SuSE (or have I just missed this option?). I still have
projector/ATI problems on my laptop platform, but KDE is the solution
until Gnome gets it right. Yet ongoing testing is mostly to find the
distro that sets up my SLmodem most readily, after which (Gnu/)Linux
becomes saleable, from a serviceperson perspective.

Have fun at the Ubuntu conference Jim. Would you be able to do a summary
talk for GLU? There is keenness here.

Having given Jim, Nick & Zane forenotice of my Installfest suggestion
for this year, it is hereby publically shared:
http://clug.net.nz/index.php/HackFest
Thoughts & responses most welcome! :-)

And just to confirm that there has already been sufficient interest to
run Software Freedom Day <http://www.infohelp.co.nz/sfd0.html>1, lined
up for Saturday 10th September. Ubuntu seem to have become sponsors, and
NZOSS are positive about involvement too. 'Be there or be [::]'

Kind regards,

Rik