[GNUz] Open Source Licenses Are Not All the Same

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:00:27 +1300

Just to add to the debate..

Jim Cheetham wrote:

> Rik Tindall wrote:
>
>> Viz patents debate / NZOSS, the wider spread of (the harder)
>> Copyleft/GPL can be seen as the best security we have for ongoing,
>> innovative technical progress, from intellectual community (vs
>> 'intellectual property') - true?
>
> No, I don't believe that there are any overlaps between "copyright"
> and "patent" - therefore GPL cannot impact patent claims, or imdemnify
> against them.

The common ground is licensing - a la M$ - where legal title for idea (&
derived code) use is given to end-users, defendably.

So GPLicensing secures programs against future patenting - the more, the
better off we will be (?)