[GNUz] Open Source Licenses Are Not All the Same

Jim Cheetham gnuz@inode.co.nz
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:44:28 +1300

Rik Tindall wrote:
> Viz patents debate / NZOSS, the wider spread of (the harder)
> Copyleft/GPL can be seen as the best security we have for ongoing,
> innovative technical progress, from intellectual community (vs
> 'intellectual property') - true?

No, I don't believe that there are any overlaps between "copyright" and
"patent" - therefore GPL cannot impact patent claims, or imdemnify
against them.

The scope of punishment for patent infringement is significantly wider
than copyright infringement ... it includes the unwitting users of a
patent-infringing "thing", whereas I don't believe that the unwitting
user of a copyright-infringing "thing" can be persued.

i.e. if I purchase a book, and the author of that book has included "too
much" copyright text from another work, I can't be sued - only the
author of the infringement can.

With patents American-style, the injured party can and usually will sue
the *users* of an infringing item rather than the offender who created
it (because they can get more money that way?)

Hence Microsoft goes to Asian industry users, and says "if you install
Linux, we will be able to persue *you* over the ~300 patent
infringements that it includes (that we "own")"

It's traditional at this point to say IANAL - I Am Not A Lawyer. What
would Nick say?

-jim