[GNUz] Another interesting twist ...

Jim Cheetham gnuz@inode.co.nz
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:12:29 +1200

InfoHelp wrote:
> It doesn't change the fact that you are in the wrong, until you stand up
> and defend hacker culture - without which we'd not be having this
> discussion.

I wasn't aware that I was representing any particular position, more
just commenting on a set of interesting circumstances. So I'm not sure
how there can be a right or wrong ...

And "hacker" - there's a word that bas become imprecise ... see below ...

> (Please explain your priorities here.)

OK, my priority *here* (on this mailing list) is to discuss the
relevance of using the GNU name in relation to free source (lowercase)
software.

In my mind, one of the biggest problems with the subject is the set of
words that are used to describe it. "Free" is an imprecise/multivalued
word in English. "Open" isn't significantly better. There is a
terminology problem that the M$s of this world are exploiting in order
to confuse.

At the same time, RMS (alone, or representing FSF or GNU? More
imprecision ...) decided that the word "Linux" when applied to an OS
distribution was imprecise. I don't think many people disagree with him
in a strict/technical definition. However, his replacement suggestions
(LiGNUx and then GNU/Linux) are also regarded as imprecise by many people.

In both cases, the tensions arising from these imprecise terminologies
detract from the communication of the core message.

My message about "gnuplot" was just an example of imprecise usage of a
term that seemed to be precise - e.g. "gnu" (not "GNU"). I've found one
reference in an FSF bulletin that said the "gnu" part of "gnuplot" was
coincidental, and completely unrelated to FSF/GNU. But no-one will
actually say what it does mean, or why it was chosen.

Actually, I think a lot of people disagree with the core message, too. I
don't need to see Microsoft overthrown, and Linux installed on all
computers. I'm happy just that it's possible to exercise some choice. I
don't personally need to convince people that the choice I've made for
me is necessarily a good choice for them.

> btw,  :-) ~ amusing post thx

:-)

>> So, "what's in a name"? If GNU were a trademark, it would probably be
>> diluted by accepting this usage.
>
> Then we're lucky it isn't a trademark, but something much more
> adaptable, for growth.

"Linux" is a trademark.
Is "GNU/Linux" a trademark? (no) Does it's use dilute the "Linux"
trademark? (yes, probably) Does Linus care? (no, but he might have to in
order to protect the Linux(tm))

Anyway, I'm trolling, but hopefully intelligently and not offensively.

-jim