[GNUz] Another interesting twist ...

InfoHelp gnuz@inode.co.nz
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 13:21:25 +1200

It doesn't change the fact that you are in the wrong, until you stand up
and defend hacker culture - without which we'd not be having this
discussion.

The plot you should be concerning yourself with here, is the one where
M$ gains by alienating "hackers" from the computing mainstream.

Can you not see where IT is going with this? - unless we bolster
alternative programming fast, top-down "security" decisions will lock
out the non-certified systems (only 5% of desktops - easy).

- Science fiction?, 1984?, LongHorn (from Texas)? ..  worth the risk of
wait-&-see?? .. you tell me.

(Please explain your priorities here.)

Cheers

Rik

btw,  :-) ~ amusing post thx

Jim Cheetham wrote:

> Here's another interesting twist on licensing and naming ...
>
> gnuplot is a mathematical graphing program - and very good too.
>
> > GNG: Gnuplot's Not GNU
> > While its name may imply otherwise, gnuplot is not covered by the GPL.
> > For the legally curious, gnuplot FAQ #1.7 says: "Gnuplot is freeware
> > in the sense that you don't have to pay for it. However, it is not
> > freeware in the sense that you would be allowed to distribute a
> > modified version of your gnuplot freely. Please read and accept the
> > Copyright file in your distribution."
>
> It also doesn't seem to appear in the FSF/UNESCO Free Software
> Directory at http://www.gnu.org/directory/. However, it is packaged in
> Debian/main, and therefore 'vrms' doesn't object to it.
>
> So, "what's in a name"? If GNU were a trademark, it would probably be
> diluted by accepting this usage.

Then we're lucky it isn't a trademark, but something much more
adaptable, for growth.