top/bottom posting WAS [GNUz] GNU/Linux ...

Nick Rout gnuz@inode.co.nz
Mon, 05 Jul 2004 13:41:24 +1200

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 13:23:55 +1200
Zane Gilmore <zane.gilmore@canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

> Nick Rout wrote:
> >>I had thought this meant 'put your comments below (& not above) the
> >>quoted text'..

no i didn't, i merely posted it from the previous poster.

> > sufficient to say that its easier to read bottom posting on a long
> > thread because you get the thread history before the latest post viz:
>
> Why not just use a threaded email client?

not the point, a threaded email client does not solve the problem that
when you are reading a post with a long list of quoted bits showing the
history of the conversation and you might not have read all the previous
posts, but you can get the history of the thread very easily if you can
read it from top to bottom. also relevant when reading archives on the
web etc.

and by the way i am agnostic about top/mid/bottom posting, its a horses
for courses thing.  there are times when each is appropriate. I didn't
even mean to start a debate, i just threw in a two line joke when Rik
(Infohelp) asked what proposition we were debating. I should have known
better.