[GNUz] GNU/Linux ...

InfoHelp gnuz@inode.co.nz
Mon, 05 Jul 2004 10:20:30 +1200

Is that a reference to DG?

Nick Rout wrote:

>Do you mean the proposition we are debating? How about "top posters must
>die"

After his advice/call/bleat? I have always top-posted, thinking that was
the norm.

>No seriously there is no need for a formal proposition, but the
>proposition propounded appeared to be:
>
>"That we work towards and encourage a distro consisting solely of
>software produced by or part of the GNU Project and/or the FSF."
>
>but it could have been:
>
>"That we work towards and encourage a distro consisting solely of
>software licensed under the GNU GPL"
>
>but also there seemed to be a proposition:
>
>"That the Canterbury Linux Users Group change its name to the Canterbury
>GNU/Linux Users Group in recognition of the importance theat GNU
>software has in all Linux distros and in the development of Linux"
>
>and ancillary to that:
>
>"That we encourage everyone to use the term "GNU/Linux" in referring to
>our favourite OS instead of "Linux".  [for the same reason]
>
>My proposition is simpler:
>
>"That we recognise and promote the spread of Free and Open Software by:
>
>1. supporting and recognising the FSF and the GNU Project and all other
>organisations working towards the promotion, development and distrbution
>of Free and Open software;
>
>2. Encouraging hardware and software makers to adopt free and open
>software development methods, free and open standards and free and open
>hardware specifications and data models"

This is the most substantial post-to-list so far, imho; the one Jim was
wanting to see.

I will have to take more time to read & reread it, in commenting on a
charter.

Mission statements are a top idea.

--
GNU/Linux Users - charting the course
prototype4: Mandrake/Fedora/SuSE-Gentoo/LFS-Debian/BSD-GNU/Hurd