[GNUz] GNU/Linux ...

Nick Rout gnuz@inode.co.nz
Mon, 05 Jul 2004 10:05:43 +1200

Do you mean the proposition we are debating? How about "top posters must
die"

No seriously there is no need for a formal proposition, but the
proposition propounded appeared to be:

"That we work towards and encourage a distro consisting solely of
software produced by or part of the GNU Project and/or the FSF."

but it could have been:

"That we work towards and encourage a distro consisting solely of
software licensed under the GNU GPL"

but also there seemed to be a proposition:

"That the Canterbury Linux Users Group change its name to the Canterbury
GNU/Linux Users Group in recognition of the importance theat GNU
software has in all Linux distros and in the development of Linux"

and ancillary to that:

"That we encourage everyone to use the term "GNU/Linux" in referring to
our favourite OS instead of "Linux".  [for the same reason]

My proposition is simpler:

"That we recognise and promote the spread of Free and Open Software by:

1. supporting and recognising the FSF and the GNU Project and all other
organisations working towards the promotion, development and distrbution
of Free and Open software;

2. Encouraging hardware and software makers to adopt free and open
software development methods, free and open standards and free and open
hardware specifications and data models"

--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>