[GNUz] GNU/Linux ...

Jim Cheetham gnuz@inode.co.nz
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 20:48:14 +1200

On Jul 2, 2004, at 7:58 PM, Yuri de Groot wrote:
>> Here's a provocative question for you - given the above
>> statement,  shouldn't RMS be pushing for *everyone who
>> chooses the GPL* to be  referred to as "GNU/<name>" ?
>
> Not all source released under the GPL license is made using
> GNU tools.

So do you think that the GNU-ness of a package should be related to the
tools used to create them? I don't think that can hold up, because the
canonical GNU project, gcc, could *not* have been created without a C
compiler being available ... :-)

Actually, one of the measures of FSF-ness (which might be the same as
GNU-ness) is that the copyright must be assigned to the FSF, rather
than rest with the contributor.

This is one measure that protects GNU project software from SCO-like
attacks on individual authors, I've been lead to believe. The
organization holds copyright, is a legal entity, and has funds
available to fight.

> GNU and GPL both come from the FSF but they are distinct,
> IMHO.

Yes, GNU code is a subset of GPL code.

How much GNU code is there in each distribution, I wonder? And how much
GPL vs. other OSI lisences?

-jim