[GNUz] GNU/Linux ...

gnuz@inode.co.nz gnuz@inode.co.nz
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 18:23:27 +1200 (NZST)

> My reading into the issue is still too formative to take on the bigger,
> wider license issues properly, but..
>
> For the world I know (PC users who could be using "Linux"), it's a
> matter of market situation - does the community own the name, or does
> Big Blue/Business (for e.g. among several incl. Novell)? I will be
> expanding the argument on CLUG-list asap, but to abbreviate, GNU/Linux
> is the name that ensures the developer community does. That is, we must
> retain the momentum of "Linux" through clarifying GNU/Linux as early in
> the product cycle as possible. This is largely about branding &
> 'propaganda', but it is education we are on the side of, not politics
> (though they are not separable).

if i am following you, (Big "If") then you are saying that the inclision
of "GNU" in "GNU/Linux" differntiates us somehow from
IBM/Redhat/Novell/Big Business.

However it doesn't. those big businesses use GNU too.

or am i missing your point.

speak in words of one syllable, its what i understand best. I am too used
to having to explain things to judges and criminals.