[GNUz] GNU/Linux ...

InfoHelp gnuz@inode.co.nz
Fri, 02 Jul 2004 17:37:26 +1200

My reading into the issue is still too formative to take on the bigger,
wider license issues properly, but..

For the world I know (PC users who could be using "Linux"), it's a
matter of market situation - does the community own the name, or does
Big Blue/Business (for e.g. among several incl. Novell)? I will be
expanding the argument on CLUG-list asap, but to abbreviate, GNU/Linux
is the name that ensures the developer community does. That is, we must
retain the momentum of "Linux" through clarifying GNU/Linux as early in
the product cycle as possible. This is largely about branding &
'propaganda', but it is education we are on the side of, not politics
(though they are not separable).

This is not about egos or sour grapes, and there is no 'must; either -
"Linux" is the one product ready to GPL knowledge itself - hence it's
significance in the GNU(/Linux) drive .

hth

Rik